Whenever I find myself sitting at my desk wanting to blog, I always struggle with a topic. Then instead of persevering through it and coming up with something, I usually get distracted with some other task. My procrastination ends up being fatal with my time. Before I know it, the day is done and only a word or two is typed in the submission box.
So today, while I was sitting down staring at my computer screen contemplating what to write, I did the same thing as I always do… something else! I started just searching the web and reading articles that people posted on twitter.
Then, I stumbled across this article on the killers of creativity. I found that almost every single one of them has affected me at one point in time. So I wanted to share them with you.
The article that I found on “Freelance Shack” blog, calls them “The Dirty Dozen” and they are “the 12 things that kill creativity”.
1. Mouthful : basically, biting off more than you can chew stresses you out and ruins the quality of your work.
2.Fear: Don’t be afraid to go outside of your comfort zone and explore new things.
3.Money: the economy has caused a lot of money issues- for everybody. This in turn makes people work harder and faster, but possibly may lead to a sacrifice of quality.
4. Distractions: this is probably my biggest killer… and it is exactly what it says it is. If you are working.. stay working, avoid these pesty distractions that avoid you from being productive.
5. Family & Friends: try to work through any issues calmly so that they don’t cause a sky-rocketing stress level.
6. Your Health
8. Lacking Direction in life: this is a huge stress factor for a lot of people and causes loss in motivation. They struggle to focus because they are unaware of their goals and wishes for life.
9. Deadlines: I think this one can go without explanation!
10. Block: sometimes, it just happens. Writers block that is! (or designers or planners or just thinking in general)
11. Competition: Instead of letting your competition get you down, use that competition as motivation to be even better and more creative!
12. Belief: The most important thing… if you believe it, you can do it!
So take all these “killers of creativity” and murder them! Throw them out and get to being the creative person you are!!
><(("> Michela Fleury
Michela is a ><(("> Team Member at Catch Your Limit, a management firm with offices in Tallahassee, Florida and Richmond, Virginia. To learn more, visit http://www.catchyourlimit.com/.